Tuesday 19 July 2016

Shine Bright Star Quilt

My youngest is in Kindy ... such a special time ... watching their little blinkers widening from home life to the big world outside. She is half-way through the year now and today is her first day back after the school holidays. Uniforms washed and pressed ... new lunchbox, new water bottle and a new quilt made by me for Kindy nap time.




At the beginning of the year she said she didn't want me to make her a quilt for Kindy nap time (Aww, I was heartbroken).  But, I smiled back to her and asked what she would like instead.  "Something from the shops", she said.  Ok, I get it ... something shiny and new to go with all the other shiny new things.

I love this quote ... it's so her and so me whispering in her ear

A happy little accidental fabric placement

So off to K-mart we went.  She scanned the isles and found the perfect little pillow and blanket just for her (and the 3 million other kids that would buy exactly the same stuff churned out by the juggernaut ... I thought to myself ... somewhat sourly).

I included a lot of low volume fabrics like this so she could enjoy and discover the little details while she rested


I bide my time ... hoping that by not making a fuss ... she would come back round.  And you know what?  It only took two terms of school (... only ...) but she finally asked me in these holidays to make her a quilt for nap time.

shimmers of gold metallic prints

A dark backing because they nap on the floor

I tried not to sound too eager (yay! woo whoo, happy dance, fist pump, take that K-mart!) and began working on it the minute she went to bed that night!

I remembered to add one of my labels (I often forget to!)

It's finally finished and she took it to Kindy today ... I can't wait to hear all about nap time when I see her shiny, beaming, little face at school pick up.

The sun pillow is from K-mart, she still loves it and to be honest I do to!  


Sx

Quilt Stats
Size is 40" x 60"
Fabrics on front: main players are a mix of Paperie, Backyard Circus and Spotlight
Backing is from Spotlight
Quilting thread is Aurifil variegated 50wt #3660 (shades of pink)
Binding is Liberty

Linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday, Let's Be Social, Finish it Up Friday

This picture makes me happy

18 comments:

  1. This post made me smile! Wishing my kiddos had had a me made nap time quilt. Alas, I didn't discover a live for piecing or quilting until they were almost grown. Now, I and hard at work trying to make up for that with my grands! Such a happy little quilt should make for wonderful dreams while your wee one is away. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile! Wishing my kiddos had had a me made nap time quilt. Alas, I didn't discover a live for piecing or quilting until they were almost grown. Now, I and hard at work trying to make up for that with my grands! Such a happy little quilt should make for wonderful dreams while your wee one is away. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, it melts my heart to see those sweet details and know all the love you poured into making it. And it's all the sweeter because she asked for it and truly appreciates it. That last photo is everything. Seriously, why am I tearing up? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable! I just love that she came around and wanted a made-with-love quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe you can see the love in her eyes, beautiful job mum! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!! I could feel your disappointment...but being a mom, you know our little ones will come back around! Adorable little lady and hugging the quilt, just priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Take that, Kmart! (OK, I adore the yellow sunshine cushion too.)
    This is a beautiful quilt, Serena. I desperately want nap time in my life too now if it might mean a quilt as lovely as this. I also desperately want some of the fabric with the 'do not faint' quote. Paperie, right? Do you think any of the local shops might carry it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable quilt, for an adorable daughter! Your post made me smile!
    It was very sweet that she finally asked you to make her one! (I didn't sew when my children were little, but hope that I have grandchildren some day to sew for!)
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a special time. And so is this sweet quilt! I really enjoyed reading about how your girl has realized a quilt made by mom beats out anything you can buy. 'Cause it's made with LOVE. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable blog post! I love the quilt - I think we all want a nap time quilt now! Love all the little details on the fabric, and of course love the binding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This picture of the little girl with the blanket would make anyone happy. Its a lovely quilt =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful nap quilt! I am impressed that you were able to swallow your pride and take her to look at the crappy store offerings. It is so hard for a quilter to contemplate buying those awful low-quality overseas sweat shop "quilts" sold in big box stores. You should be proud of your daughter for coming around so quickly and realizing that REAL quilts are made at home, with love in every stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps disillusionment with big box stores is a phase in the growing up process. I'm glad, in time, she came to her senses. I figured I'd go the cheap and easy way, and first bought a Target blanket for my son. When the teacher said it was too large, I gave in and made a Minky blanket that doesn't begin to compare with your daughter's quilt. I was still afraid of how it would fair in an elementary classroom floor. I love the prints you chose, making it a bit like a picture book, with the shimmery metallics, cute illustrations, and phrases. The other moms are in trouble now. All the little girls are going to want one of these, and no amount of K-mart spending is going to enable that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She'll be the coolest kid in the class! Custom vs. K-mart, clearly custom always wins. Love the way you combined all those sweet fabrics. This one is defiantly a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, what a sweet and beautiful story. I was practically jumping for joy when I reached the part where your daughter asked you to make her a quilt. It's such a gorgeous quilt, it wouldn't surprise me if her friends will all be wanting a mummy-made quilt when they see hers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's so lovely! I love the fabrics you have chosen - bet the rest of the kids will want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to hear of school provision for small children setting aside time for a nap! Do they all have to nap/lie quietly or just if they want to?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two terms? She's a wise young girl!! It's a beautiful quilt, that I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment out of. The pattern would make a great cot quilt pattern - I must stash they idea away.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...